Personal Injury Lawyer in Fort Lee >> FAQ - Slip and Fall Accidents Lawyer

FAQ – Slip and Fall Accidents

I've injured myself in a slip and fall accident. What do I do next?
If you are injured, seek medical attention immediately, especially if you have prior injuries that could have been aggravated as a result of the accident. Even if the accident is your fault, the building owner or manager should be responsible for providing you with medical attention. Also, don't forget to get contact information of any witnesses to the accident so that they can later provide their observations of the accident.
How long do I have to hire an attorney after a slip and fall accident?
New Jersey law requires that a claim for personal injuries - such as a slip and fall - must be filed within two years of the date of accident. If you are under 18 at the time of the accident, you are allowed to file at any time until you turn 20 years old. If however, your accident was the fault of a governmental entity - such as a fall on town property - your attorney must file specialized forms putting that governmental entity on notice of the accident within 90 days of the accident.
Am I able to sue my employer for my slip and fall accident?
Generally, injuries sustained at work are covered under specific laws known as Worker's Compensation laws. You are entitled to obtain free medical care, temporary disability pay, and an award of money for any permanent disability. An New Jersey slip and fall accident lawyer can help you obtain these benefits.
Does an accident report have to be filled out at the time of the slip and fall accident?
It is best for an accident report to be completed at the time of the accident. A report should contain what happened, witnesses to both the accident and the conditions causing the fall, as well as any other relevant considerations such as lighting/weather conditions. If for some reason an accident report is not completed, you should make a record of what happened yourself. Be sure to include information like a description of the accident, who was present, and the comments of those who witnessed the accident or assisted you after the accident. Also, take pictures of the area if you have a camera available.
What compensation am I eligible for my slip and fall accident?
A recovery for a slip and fall accident includes:
  • Medical bills
  • Pain and suffering
  • Potential future medical expenses
  • Lost wages
What is a hazardous condition and who is responsible for it?
There are two types of "hazardous conditions":
  1. Permanent hazardous condition (such as a broken stair)
    • Property owners are often responsible for permanent hazardous conditions, because they should have known about the hazardous condition. Also, any maintenance companies whose duty it is to repair and maintain the property may also be responsible.
  2. Temporary hazardous condition (such as ice on the sidewalk).
    • A property owner may be responsible if the owner had the opportunity to realize the situation and correct it. Also, property maintenance companies may also be responsible.
Who is liable for a slip and fall accident?
All property owners have a legal duty to maintain their property. Businesses and commercial property owners are held to a higher standard than average citizens because they invite people onto their property with an intent to profit from their visit. Thus, they have a duty to keep their premises free from any hazardous condition, as well as to search out and inspect their property for potential hazardous conditions.

Contact our law firm today online or by telephone at 201 346-3800 to speak with an experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney. Free Consultation, and we don't get paid until you do.

Free Case Evaluation
E-Mail an Attorney Now

Use the form below for a quick case evaluation inquiry. For sensitive inquiries, please call us directly.

Our Practice Areas
Hold mouse over item to view sub-categories